“Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?So the last will be first, and the first last.” (Matthew 20:15-16)
HYMNS FOR THE WEEK
- Opening Hymn “With the Lord Begin Your Task” (LSB 869)
- Hymn of the Day “Salvation Unto Us Has Come” (LSB 555) Sts. 1-5 Text here.
- Communion Distribution Hymns
- “Salvation Unto Us Has Come” (LSB 555) Sts. 6-10 Text here.
- “In God, My Faithful God” (LSB 745)
- “Gracious God, You Send Great Blessings” (LSB 782)
- “Lord of Glory, You Have Bought Us” (LSB 851)
- “Alleluia, Sing to Jesus” (LSB 821) Text here.
- “How Wide the Love of Christ” (LSB 535)
- Closing Hymn “When in Our Music God is Glorified” (LSB 796) Hymn in video is the same tune but not hymn 796.
seventh sunday in martyrs’ tide
“Do you begrudge my generosity?”
The landowner’s words in our Lord’s parable condemn us. The landowner knows the truth. Those who worked all day in the vineyard expect a wage equal to their task. They received what was asked: one denarius, a day’s wage. It’s a fair wage and it’s the one agreed to by both parties. So why is there so much whining?
Collect of the Day
Lord God, heavenly Father, since we cannot stand before You relying on anything we have done, help us trust in Your abiding grace and live according to Your Word; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.