Not only does He teach us many things, but taking the bread, He blesses and breaks and gives it to the disciples “to set before the people” (Mark 6:41).
HYMNS FOR THE WEEK
- Opening Hymn |“The King of Love My Shepherd Is” (LSB 709)
- Hymn of the Day |“The Church’s One Foundation” (LSB 644)
- Closing Hymn |“Sent Forth By God’s Blessing” (LSB 643)
- Communion Distribution Hymns
- LSB 711 – “Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us”
- LSB 642 – “O Living Bread from Heaven”
- LSB 625 – “Lord Jesus Christ, Life-Giving Bread”
- LSB 545 – “Word of God, Come Down on Earth”
- LSB 629 – “What Is This Bread”
- LSB 641 – “You Satisfy the Hungry Heart”
- LSB 725 – “Children of the Heavenly Father”
- LSB 861 – “Christ Be My Leader”
of APOSTLES’ Tide
The Lord Jesus Shepherds His Church on Earth by the Ministry of the Gospel.
The Lord rebukes and removes “the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep” (Jer. 23:1). He gathers the flock, brings them back to the fold, and sets “shepherds over them who will care for them” (Jer. 23:3–4). He raises up the Son of David, the great Good Shepherd, to “reign as king and deal wisely” (Jer. 23:5). He is “our righteousness,” in whom we “dwell securely” (Jer. 23:6). He has compassion on all of us, who were “like sheep without a shepherd” (Mark 6:34). Not only does He teach us many things, but taking the bread, He blesses and breaks and gives it to the disciples “to set before the people” (Mark 6:41). He abundantly provides for His Church on earth, so that everyone is fed and fully satisfied in body and soul. He preaches peace “to you who were far off,” and “by the blood of Christ,” He brings you near (Eph. 2:13, 17). Though you were “separated from Christ” by your sin, “having no hope and without God in the world” (Eph. 2:12), now “you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God” (Eph. 2:19).
There is a simple message in today’s Gospel: Christ feeds His people.