When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. (Matthew 9:36)
HYMNS FOR THE WEEK
- Opening Hymn “Hark, the Voice of Jesus Crying (LSB 826)
- Hymn of the Day “God Loved the World So That He Gave” (LSB 571)
- Communion Distribution Hymns
- “In the Shattered Bliss of Eden” (LSB 572)
- “Preach You the Word” (LSB 586)
- “O Christ, Who Called the Twelve” (LSB 856)
- “All Mankind Fell in Adam’s Fall” (LSB 562)
- “Spread the Reign of God the Lord” (LSB 830)
- “Hope of the World” (LSB 690) Text here.
- “Your Hand, Oh Lord, in Days of Old” (LSB 846)
- Closing Hymn “Hark, the Voice of Jesus Calling” (LSB 827)
trinity tide 3
Sunday’s Gospel tells us why the world needs laborers who confess their faith.“When [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”
Sheep cannot long survive without the care of a shepherd. Sheep without a shepherd are some of the most helpless creatures on earth. They can easily fall sick. They can easily become injured. They are easy prey for predators.
Their lives have no meaning – no goal – no purpose. They are born. They eat. They sleep. They pass their gene pool on to the next generation and then they die. What more is the purpose of any creature – what more is the purpose of even the human being IF we have no shepherd? What a sad life we have IF this world is all there is and there is nothing more.
Collect of the Day
Almighty, eternal God, in the Word of Your apostles and prophets You have proclaimed to us Your saving will. Grant us faith to believe Your promises that we may receive eternal salvation; through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.