And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. (Matthew 10:38)
HYMNS FOR THE WEEK
- Opening Hymn “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” (LSB 426) Text under “show more” in video.
- Hymn of the Day “Let Us Ever Walk with Jesus” (LSB 685) Text under “show more” in video.
- Communion Distribution Hymns
- “Lord, Whose Love through Humble Service” (LSB 848)
- “The Law of God Is Good and Wise” (LSB 579) Text here
- “Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me” (LSB 683) Text here
- “Onward, Christian Soldiers” (LSB 662)
- “I Walk in Danger All the Way” (LSB 716)
- “Jesus, Grant That Balm and Healing” (LSB 421) Text here
- “Sing, My Tongue, the Glorious Battle” (LSB 454) Text under “show more” in video.
- Closing Hymn “Why Should Cross and Trial Grieve me” (LSB 756)
First sunday in apostles’ tide
“The saying is trustworthy, for: If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful—for he cannot deny himself.”
When Saint Paul wrote those words to Timothy, he may have had today’s Gospel lesson in mind. Jesus tells us today that if we do not take up our cross and follow him that we are not worthy of Him.
This shouldn’t come as a surprise. We know we’re not worthy of Him. We know that we are, as Paul says, faithless. We live our lives as if God does not exist. If we truly believed that God exists and is the sort of God He says He is, we would never for a moment wonder what to do in a moment of trouble. We would pray. We would remind God of His promise to provide us with daily bread. We would know with absolute unfailing certainty that whatever was happening, no matter how evil, God was working it for our good. We would know that because we would always have in mind that God loves us.
Collect of the Day
Almighty God, by the working of Your Holy Spirit, grant that we may gladly hear Your Word proclaimed among us and follow its directing; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.